Howard M. Turner
Howard focuses his practice in construction, mechanics liens and related transaction and litigation matters. With over 50 years of experience, Howard has successfully resolved an array of construction and mechanics lien disputes, with several published decisions changing Illinois law. He has had an active role in changing the Mechanics Lien Act, preparing the 2005 and 2006 amendments as part of a select committee of the Chicago Bar Association, and has participated in drafting most of the Chicago Bar Association sponsored mechanics lien legislation adopted in the last 15 years.
Howard has written many articles on mechanics liens, and is the author of Turner on Illinois Mechanics Liens, published by the Illinois State Bar Association. The highly acclaimed book is sponsored by the Society of Illinois Construction Attorneys (SOICA), and known as the authoritative guide among Illinois construction attorneys.
Prior to joining the firm, Howard was of counsel at another prominent Chicagoland law firm. He is also a charter member of SOICA.
- J.D., University of Chicago, 1959
- B.A. (Law), University of Chicago, 1957
- B.A., University of Chicago, 1956
Professional Memberships & Associations:
- Chicago Bar Association — Construction Law and Mechanics Lien Subcommittee
- Illinois State Bar Association — Construction Council
- Nonbinding Arbitration Panel of the Mechanics Lien and Mortgage Foreclosure Section of the Circuit Court of Cook County
- Society of Illinois Construction Attorneys (SOICA)
Articles & Publications:
- Turner on Illinois Mechanics Liens, 2016
- “Path to Perfection Crafting Error Free Illinois Mechanics Lien Claims,” Illinois Bar Journal, 2014
- “Perfecting a Mechanics Lien: What You Need to Do it Right,” Illinois Bar Journal, 2013
- “New Legislation Gives Mechanics Lien Claimants Priority,” DuPage County Bar Association Brief, 2013
- “Negotiating Subcontracts,” Construction Law: Transactional Considerations, 2010
- “Chapter 4 – Subcontractors Lien: Its Nature and Enforcement”; “Chapter 9 – Trial Practice: Proof of Selected Issues”; “Chapter 10 – Trial Practice: Breach and Damages,” IICLE Mechanics Liens in Illinois, 2010
- “Chapter 6 – Transactional Considerations,” Negotiating Subcontracts IICLE Construction Law, 2010